Tuesday, October 23

Round Two... Me vs. the Cysts!

So all of October I wasn't feeling at the top of my game.   I kept telling Chris that I felt like I was getting fat (even with working out) and kept gravitating towards my "fat pants".  I tried switching to Lactose Free Milk even, thinking I might have developed an intolerance.   After trying different things and still not feeling great I decided I should do something.  Finally I got pretty bad stomach pains so I went into urgent care.

After waiting awhile and an ultrasound they told me I had a pretty large cyst- which I had assumed the whole time.  The doctor said they needed to see me first thing the next morning.  So the next morning I was sitting in room waiting to meet my doctor.  She introduced herself as Dr. Beniot, a gynecological oncologist.  WAIT....WHAT!  An oncologist!  All I could think of was "when did CANCER become part of this!"  Dr. Benoit was really good at being comforting and saying that anytime a cyst gets this big they call in the oncologist.  She told me the cyst looked to be about the size of a small football- no wonder I felt so bloated! The plan of attack was to remove the cyst, but because of its size they would have to make a large incision (like a C-section).  She said she would do the best she could but there was a risk of losing my ovary.  And we all crossed our fingers that the cyst would not be cancerous. 

So I went through a slew of tests, drinking yucky contrast, MRI, blood draw and more.   I was then given orders to go home and rest til the next day when I would have my surgery.  Seriously the WORST part of everything was the Magnesium Citrate I had to drink to "prep my bowels'.  It was disgusting! In the midst of all of this I was trying to line up substitutes, write lesson plans, etc.


Luckily Chris was able to get all the time off needed and that he wasn't away on a rotation.   So he took me into my surgery that next day.  Of course I don't remember much but when I finally woke up I was giving the GOOD NEWS that the cyst was NOT cancerous and that they were able to not damage or remove any part of my ovaries!


I then had a few more days recovering in the hospital and then home to recover for about two weeks at home.  Thank goodness for my parents because Chris has to go down to California for a rotation so I had them to take care of me.   I am just so grateful for everyone's love and prayers and that I was able to have a positive outcome.

2 comments:

Kennan said...

That would be so scary! I'm glad you had the best possible outcome! Love and miss you guys!

Camille said...

Oh Amanda... those dang cysts! I am so sorry about all of that. It sounds awful. But as I've said before (and I will say again), you seem to always have the best outlook and attitude about this crappy situation and it is so inspiring! I think about you often and love you so much! Stay strong little tree!!!