Thursday, February 28

February 2013

Top Three Events of February 2013

1. Girls Trip to Portland
  • I went with Ciara and Alex  to go down and visit Laura (these are my best friends from High School) at her new house in Battlecreek, WA- just over the border from Portland.  We had a fun few days exploring Portland and hanging out. Even though its been almost 10 years since we graduated we don't skip a beat- we are still as silly as ever.  But we shopped in NW 23rd street, ate Voodoo donuts, visited Powell's bookstore, and watched all the grammy nominated short animation films in a great theater.   
waiting and then devouring our donuts.  Had to try and bacon, maple bar! My favorite out of the random dozen we got was the oreo one! 

I was in heaven here- this bookstore is HUGE!

Alex and I waiting for the movie to start


2. Residency Interviews in Texas
  • Chris had a stressful week in Frisco, Texas interviewing with possible podiatry residency programs.  It's nice that they do all the interviews in one location at one time- but boy is it stressful. I am really proud of all the work Chris did preparing for these interviews!  But we are both glad this step is over.  

3. Mid- Winter Break to Leavenworth, WA
  • We get a week off in February in our school district so we went to Leavenworth with my parents, Paydan, and Brandon,Heidi, and Audrey.  We had fun in the bavarian-themed city being together, however the trip was not quite as planned. My dad had a hernia (unknown at the time) so he was pretty uncomfortable much of the time- poor guy. I also think I might have had another on of my cyst rupture cus I had pretty bad cramping and pain one of the days- I just stayed in bed most of the time.  So we didn't get to ski and do all the other things we had hoped but we still always enjoy being with family. 
View of the beautiful Mountains after church


Other Happenings
  • School Field trip to the Washington State Capitol
    • I got to take my students with all the other 5th grade classes to Olympia to do a tour of the capitol, which I had never done before.  We lucked out and had nice charter buses so we were able to let the students watch a movie on the way there and back.  We got to meet our local senators, watch a bill be passed and do a mock trial. 
in the courtroom for our mock trial
  • Go-Kart Racing with the family 
    • For Paydan's birthday he got a go-kart racing certificate- so we finally used it months later. We meet up with Brandon and Heidi, my parents, Paydan and also my brother/chris's old  roommate Oliver, who was visiting.  The boys all got to race around the track. 
getting ready to start